St. Louis Slip and Fall Injury Attorney
Need a St. Louis Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer?
Almost everyone has slipped and fallen at one point in life. Despite the prevalence of these accidents, nobody expects to suffer a catastrophic injury from one of these falls, especially when visiting a neighbor’s house or shopping at Straub’s Fine Grocers. However, these types of slip and fall accidents do happen, and victims can face devastating injuries, excruciating pain, and extensive medical bills that may affect their families as well.
Yet, as a victim of a slip and fall accident, you do not have to go through this terrifying ordeal alone. You should retain a St. Louis slip and fall attorney whom you can trust. You should consider hiring an experienced slip and fall attorney, such as those from the Bruning Law Firm, to represent your interests. Our legal team has represented countless slip and fall injury victims over the years, and we know what it takes to get successful resolutions and maximum compensation on behalf of our clients.
Why You Want The Bruning Law Firm on Your Side
At The Bruning Law Firm, we provide clients with compassionate legal representation and use our resources to pursue the best possible outcome in every case. For over 35 years, our firm has helped victims struggling after suffering severe injuries from a serious accident. We do this by making our clients a priority from the moment they call.
Consider the services that we provide:
- We put ourselves in our clients’ shoes and take the time to learn about them, their families, and their situations.
- We make sure to stay in constant communication with our clients throughout the whole legal process.
- We know that our clients need compensation for their losses as quickly as possible, so we get right to work on their cases.
As a result of this drive, dedication, and experience, we have recovered millions of dollars from jury verdicts and settlement awards for our injured clients.
What Are Slip and Fall Accidents?
A slip and fall accident occurs when an individual slips, trips, or falls on someone else’s property and suffers an injury because of that fall.
Some of the more common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Loose rugs
- Rainy surfaces or pavement
- Wet floors in a restaurant or a grocery store
- Broken staircases
- Broken handrails
- Poor lighting in dark areas, such as parking lots
- Obstructed views
- Cluttered areas
- Cables left uncovered
- Cracks in the sidewalk
- Uneven walking surfaces
- Surfaces that do not have the same traction in all the areas
Common Injuries Resulting From a St. Louis Slip and Fall Accident
Although most slip and fall accident injuries prove relatively minor, they can lead to severe trauma in some cases.
However, in general, the more common injuries that tend to occur from a slip and fall accident include:
- Broken bones, usually in the ankles, hips, and wrists
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Head trauma
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Shoulder damage
- Eye injuries
Proving Fault for Slip and Fall Accidents
Typically, in most premises liability accidents, the injured individual must prove negligence on behalf of the at-fault party. Put simply, just because you slipped, fell, and injured yourself on another person’s property does not mean that the property owner is automatically liable for the harm and injuries you sustained. Following a slip and fall accident, you should speak with an experienced St. Louis slip and fall lawyer, such as those at the Bruning Law Firm. These attorneys can go over your claim, determine if you have a viable case, and gather the relevant evidence needed to establish that the property owner acted negligently and thus bears responsibility for your injuries.
Generally, to establish this negligence, your lawyer needs to prove:
- The property owner caused the hazardous condition, such as holes in the floor.
- The property owner knew about the hazardous condition yet failed to repair it.
- The dangerous condition existed for a significant time, and the property owner should have corrected it but did not.
In slip and fall accidents, it is not enough that an individual’s carelessness caused the accident, as these types of cases do not make strong personal injury claims. Instead, a liable party must have caused the victim’s injury. If you sustained injuries in such an accident, you should speak with a slip and fall attorney as soon as possible to determine your legal options.
Slip and Fall Accidents on Commercial Property in St. Louis
Importantly, slip and fall accidents that occur on commercial property have many differences from those that occur at a friend’s house, for instance. For example, business owners, such as restaurant or store owners, can face responsibility for certain issues, such as dangerous walkways or spills. In these instances, property owners must appropriately warn their visitors of the hazardous condition and repair these dangerous areas as soon as possible.
In St. Louis, property owners owe the highest duty of care to business invitees. Invitees come onto a property with the permission of the owner and for the owner’s benefit. Consequently, if an invitee suffers an injury due to an unreasonably dangerous condition the owner knew or should have known about, the visitor may pursue compensation for any resulting losses.
Statute of Limitations for a Slip and Fall Injury Claim in St. Louis
The statute of limitations determines the maximum amount of time you have to file a lawsuit after an alleged offense. If you do not file this claim within that allotted time, you may miss out on pursuing compensation for your injuries.
Missouri law mandates that individuals who suffer a slip and fall injury must file a claim within five years from the date of the accident. However, exceptions to this rule exist that can shorten or extend the amount of time an injured individual has to file a case. For these reasons, you should not wait to pursue legal action. Rather, you should reach out to a St. Louis slip and fall lawyer as soon as you can. These attorneys can figure out how much time you have to file your case, and they can also ensure the proper preparation and filing of your legal motions and documents before time expires.
Damages Available Following a St. Louis Slip and Fall Accident
If your slip and fall accident caused you to suffer injuries, and another person’s wrongful or negligent actions caused your accident, you may pursue compensation for the harm you’ve endured. In Missouri, this compensation can include both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic Damages: These damages refer to the actual losses that result from the slip and fall accident, such as:
- Medical bills, including past, present, and future medical expenses, such as prescription medication, emergency room visits, doctor visits, hospital stay, medical assistive devices, and other items
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Personal property damages
- At-home nursing services
- Rehabilitative services, such as physical or occupational therapy
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Non-Economic Damages: These damages include subjective losses that may prove difficult to measure, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of reputation
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
To determine what damages you may qualify to pursue, you should work with a skilled slip and fall lawyer like those at the Bruning Law Firm. An experienced attorney can review your accident and seek the compensation you need to cover the full cost of your injuries.
How Much Is My St. Louis Slip and Fall Accident Case Worth?
Unfortunately, no attorney can tell you exactly how much money you may receive following a slip and fall accident.
Many factors impact the amount of a claim, including:
- The extent of the injuries, including the severity and type of injury
- The medical treatments that you need now and in the future
- Whether the doctor believes that you’ve suffered permanent injuries
- The location of the fall
- The ability to work in the same position after the accident
- Your lost income
- The ability to take part in regular, daily activities
- The extent of the pain and suffering
- The defendant’s culpability
- The credibility of the evidence that you present
At The Bruning Law Firm, we cannot guarantee that you will receive money after your accident. However, our experienced slip and fall accident lawyers can review these case factors, figure out the ones that may influence your case, and go after compensation to cover the full cost of your injuries.
Actions to Take After a St. Louis Slip and Fall Accident
Following a slip and fall accident, you should take certain actions to protect your health and safety as well as your legal rights.
These steps include:
- Get Examined by a Doctor: If you suffer serious injuries, you need to contact 911 immediately or head to the hospital. However, even if your injuries do not appear to require any emergency medical services, you should still see a medical professional as soon as possible. These doctors can assess your injuries and document them in a medical report, providing evidence of a direct link between your injuries and the slip and fall accident. If you wait too long to see your doctor, you may have a harder time establishing this connection.
- Report the Accident: Regardless of where your accident happened, you should still report the incident to the building owner, manager, or property owner. This can ensure the appropriate documentation of your slip and fall accident and injuries.
- Gather Evidence From the Scene: If you can, try to take as many pictures and videos of the accident scene as you can. Make sure that you include photos of your visible injuries, the hazard(s) that caused your accident, the lighting conditions, the weather at the time of the accident, and any other relevant information that can help show what happened. Importantly, don’t make any statements that may imply that you accept liability for the accident, including apologizing. You also shouldn’t post anything to social media until the conclusion of your case, as such behavior may negatively affect your claim.
- Talk to Witnesses: If people present at the accident scene saw what happened, make sure you get their names and contact information. These witness statements can often provide you with further details regarding what happened and help back up your claims.
Reach out to Our Experienced Slip and Fall Attorneys as Soon as Possible Following a St. Louis Slip and Fall Accident
To have a successful slip and fall accident claim, you need to provide relevant evidence showing what happened and who caused the accident, as well as sound legal arguments that can establish your claim. Fortunately, you don’t have to take on this legal battle by yourself when you work with the Bruning Law Firm.
Once you retain our firm, our legal team can provide you with the legal assistance you require, including:
- Evaluating your potential claim, providing you the legal advice you need, and going over your legal options.
- Answering all of the questions and concerns you have, and offering you the legal support you require during this challenging time.
- Investigating your slip and fall accident and securing the critical evidence needed to build the strongest possible legal claim.
- Holding all the at-fault parties accountable for your harm.
- Handing all the negotiations with the insurance company and the other side.
- Taking your case to trial, if required, and fighting for maximum damages on your behalf.
If a St. Louis slip and fall injury disrupted your life or the life of a loved one, do not wait any longer to seek legal help. Instead, contact the Bruning Law Firm today for your free case consultation, and let our skilled personal injury lawyers show you how we can fight for you and your rights and go after maximum compensation on your behalf. During your free consultation, you can discuss the details of your accident, ask questions about your legal options, and determine your eligibility to pursue compensation for the full cost of your injuries.
The Bruning Law Firm
555 Washington Ave Ste 600A,
St. Louis, MO 63101
“When other law firms failed me. Bruning Law Firm came through for me. They did a great job and were able to get me more compensation than I expected. Couldn’t be more pleased. Truly glad these folks were there for me. Took care of everything. Truly pleased. Tthank you Ryan and Alice.” – Joseph F.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!