Can I Sue an Out-of-State Driver After a Car Accident?

AUTHOR: A.J. Bruning | March 26, 2015
Can I Sue an Out-of-State Driver After a Car Accident?

Out of the out tens of thousands of car accidents that occur throughout Missouri each year, a significant number are caused by out of state drivers. This is particularly true for metropolitan areas that lie on or near the border of two states, such as St. Louis or Kansas City. Many people who are injured in accidents that are caused by out of state drivers are concerned as to whether they will be able to sue the driver who caused their accident in their home state. After all, in order to bring a legal action against an individual, a particular court must be able to lawfully exercise personal jurisdiction1 over that individual in accordance with state law.

In short, the answer to whether an accident victim can sue an out of state driver in the state in which the accident occurs is “yes.” The mere act of driving in a state would likely be sufficient to establish personal jurisdiction over an individual in almost every conceivable situation. As a result, it is important for anyone who has been injured in an accident caused by a nonresident driver should discuss their options with an experienced St. Louis car accident lawyer as soon as possible.

Car Accidents Can Leave Victims With Serious Injuries

Motor vehicle accidents often involve tremendous forces that can cause significant bodily injury. In some cases, these injuries may even lead to chronic medical conditions or disabilities that may affect victims for years or even decades. Some of the more common injuries that people often sustain in car accidents include:

  • Broken bones
  • Burns
  • Soft tissue injuries
  • Sprains
  • Dislocations
  • Lacerations
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Whiplash2

These and other car accident injuries have the potential to result in significant medical expenses and lost income. Fortunately, these and other losses that people experience after a car accident are often recoverable through a Missouri personal injury claim.

Contact a St. Louis Car Accident Attorney Today to Schedule a Free Consultation

Individuals who are injured in accidents caused by out-of-state drivers are often legally entitled to significant compensation. The attorneys of The Bruning Law Firm are dedicated to helping people who have been injured in car accidents recover for their injuries through the Missouri civil court system. To schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers, call our office today at (314) 898-3078.


If you or someone you care about has been seriously injured in an auto accident, contact The Bruning Law Firm today. We provide the comprehensive, professional legal representation you deserve at a time when you need it most.

Call or contact our office online today to schedule a free consultation.



A.J. Bruning


I was born and raised to represent individuals who have been needlessly injured. I mean that literally. At a young age my father would tell me about the clients he was representing. I would meet them and take pride in their admiration of my father. I always knew I wanted to be a lawyer and represent clients that needed my help.

Author's Bio

You Might Also Be Interested In