What Kind of Evidence Is Used in a Car Accident Case?
According to statistics reported by the United States government, an estimated 2.3 million people1 sustained injuries in motor vehicle accidents in 2013. Many of these accidents were caused by a negligent driver, auto manufacturer, or another party who should be held liable for the injuries and other damage they caused. However, in many situations, responsible parties and their insurance companies may not likely offer victims the amount they deserve for their losses. In such cases, victims may have to file a personal injury lawsuit to obtain the recovery they deserve.
You cannot simply walk into a courtroom and point fingers at the liable party, however. Instead, the law requires that you must prove that it is more likely than not that the defendant acted in a negligent manner. In order to prove negligence, you must collect and present evidence of such to the court. There are particular rules of evidence2 that must be followed for the court to consider that particular piece of evidence, so you always want to have a personal injury attorney who understands the litigation process and associated requirements.
Types of Evidence For Car Accidents in MO
The following are some common kinds of evidence used in personal injury cases involving auto accidents:
- Photos – You should always take photos of the scene of the accident, including photos of all of the vehicles involved.
- Witnesses – You should always get contact information from anyone who may have witnessed the accident and who may be willing to testify regarding what happened.
- Information from police reports – You should always file an accident report because the police officer’s opinion regarding what happened and who was at fault can carry significant weight with a jury.
- Medical records – The records from any medical evaluations or treatments you received will not only serve as evidence of the nature and severity of your injuries, but also that the accident caused the injuries.
- Expert analysis – In some cases, accident reconstruction specialists or other experts can give their opinion on who caused the accident.
At The Bruning Law Firm in St. Louis, our auto accident lawyers understand how to use evidence to help you prevail in your lawsuit. Call our office today at 314-735-8100 for a free consultation today.
LET US GET STARTED ON YOUR ST. LOUIS CAR ACCIDENT CASE TODAY
If you or someone you care about has been seriously injured in an auto accident, contact The Bruning Law Firm today. We provide the comprehensive, professional legal representation you deserve at a time when you need it most.
Call or contact our office online today to schedule a free consultation.
NOT READY TO CHAT WITH A ST. LOUIS CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY?
For more information, use these resources:
I represent individuals in Missouri and Illinois in all types of personal injury cases. In my short time here I have obtained a judgment for $2.5 million and settled a large class action lawsuit for a confidential amount.
I love the city of St. Louis and support it and give back whenever I can. Recently I was appointed by Mayor Francis Slay to serve on the Advisory Board for the Gateway Mall.
I am married to my lovely wife Lauren and we have two beautiful daughters, Mia and Bridget.