You use products daily, from foods to medications and machines that help you manage your day and responsibilities while residing in Creve Coeur. Unfortunately, of the many products on the market for consumers, there is a risk that a defect or inherent dangerous propensity can cause injury or death to its users.
Product defects and dangers are not something you would expect, and when an injury occurs, it can wreak havoc on your life. Defective products are capable of causing severe injuries or the death of a victim.
Manufacturers of products for use by consumers must provide products free of unexpected dangers and defects which can harm consumers. Failure to warn and provide proper instruction or quality control of a product can cause a wide range of injuries and impacts depending on the type of product involved. You may be eligible for compensation if you suffer an injury or illness because of a product.
A product liability lawyer with The Bruning Law Firm understands the intricate and complex nature of product liability cases and can help you determine your legal rights against the product manufacturer that causes you harm.
Why Choose Us The Bruning Law Firm Product Liability Lawyers
At the Bruning Law Firm, we help our clients fight for compensation for their damages from product manufacturers and insurance companies. We understand that when you buy or use a product, you expect to be able to do so safely.
If a company fails to warn you about potential risks or fails to protect you from defects arising from the manufacturing process, we can help you determine whether you have a case for compensation. Our team of lawyers and staff stand ready to assist and guide injury victims due to product liability and other personal injury matters.
Our case results speak for themselves:
- $50 million verdict for the family of victims who lost their life due to a defective smoke detector
- $2.9 million settlement in a product liability case where a faulty product caused a deadly fire
- $2.5 million judgment for a victim injured when defective airbags did not deploy
- $2.4 million settlement in a case where a dangerous product resulted in a fire
Note that past results are no guarantee of future success. The Bruning Law Firm has two office locations in St. Louis, including the surrounding area of Creve Coeur; we can take your call and offer you a free attorney consultation. Our Creve Coeur office is right off I 270 and Olive Blvd. Minutes from downtown St. Louis and across from the Creve Coeur Golf Course, we are in an easy-to-reach location for your convenience. Contact us to schedule your free product liability case consultation.
How Much Compensation Can You Seek in a Product Liability Case?
As a victim of a defective or dangerous product, you may wonder how much money you can receive as part of a claim for damages through an insurer or lawsuit. Damages in a product liability vary greatly. However, the potential damages can be significant depending on the circumstances.
If we represent you in a product liability case, we will meticulously go over your losses and damages from your defective product injuries and the negative impacts on your life because of those injuries.
Attorneys at The Bruning Law Firm in Creve Coeur can help you calculate the maximum possible damages in your case. Although we can’t predict with certainty the outcome of your case or a specific dollar amount an insurer or the at-fault party may be responsible for, we can help you understand the process of seeking compensation and the likelihood of a successful settlement in your case.
Damages available as part of a product liability case can include:
- Medical expenses. All of your medical bills and expenses necessary for treating and rehabilitating your injuries are recoverable as part of a product liability case. This may include ER visits, ambulance transport, surgery, hospitalization, therapy, supportive care, and medical devices or equipment to aid your condition.
- Income loss. Some of the costliest damages associated with injury cases are often related to a victim’s inability to maintain productivity and work. Loss of income due to missed work or reduced wages because of loss of ability to perform work tasks can be part of the damages in a product liability claim or case.
- Future impacts. When you suffer a debilitating product liability injury, you may never be the same. If the injuries or illness you develop do not fully heal, you can face lifelong disabilities and impairment in your day-to-day functioning. As part of your case, you may be eligible to seek compensation for future medical costs expected for the care of your injuries and future income loss and earning potential due to the aftermath of those injuries.
- Pain and suffering. The pain you endure from the injury or harm you incur due to a defective product, and the physical, emotional, or mental suffering is grounds for compensation in many cases. Additionally, as a victim of injury, you may be able to seek compensation for the intangible effects on your life, such as the loss of quality of life, enjoyment of life, and impacts on your relationships because of your injuries.
- Wrongful death damages. Sadly, not all victims in a product liability case survive their encounter with a dangerous or defective product. In these instances where a victim dies due to an unsafe product, certain surviving family may have a basis to file a wrongful death action. Wrongful death compensation can include funeral and burial expenses, medical bills, loss of companionship, loss of contribution from the family member, and pain and suffering of the victim before their death.
How Can You Suffer an Injury Due to a Defective Product in Creve Coeur?
Most victims of a dangerous or defective product injury suffer the injury while going about their day-to-day routine and life. As part of the Creve Coeur community, you may encounter situations that put you at risk of serious injury or death due to a defective product.
Whether in your home, at work, or during one of many activities that are part of your life, you may suffer an injury when a product’s defects cause a malfunction or unexpected hazard. Product liability cases can involve a wide range of consumer products, from prescription drugs to over-the-counter medications, the food you eat, vehicles, equipment, toys, and other devices.
Agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration and the Consumer Product Safety Commission exist to provide oversight and notice of potentially dangerous or defective products to consumers in the U.S. Unfortunately, however, often for a product to become the subject of a recall or other widespread warnings it has already caused injury and harm to unsuspecting users of the product.
Product Liability Cases in Creve Coeur
Anyone can be a victim of a product liability accident, including vulnerable sections of the population such as children and the elderly. Children under the age of five have some of the highest rates of injuries from consumer products in the country. In just one year across the U.S., the CPSC reports that over 11 million people will visit a hospital to treat injuries related to an unsafe product.
Consumer product injuries may impact many more victims not included in that calculation who choose to treat their own injuries or seek care from a doctor or medical center rather than an emergency facility. While any product can be unsafe and cause injuries, certain consumer products are often associated with emergencies. For example, the top three categories of products leading to consumer injuries include stairs, sleeping-related products, and furniture such as chairs and sofas.
Types of Product Liability Accidents
When a product is dangerous to consumers, the dangers may not be apparent. A product that poses a risk of injury or death to you may be hazardous for a number of reasons. Product liability cases can stem from various factors relating to the consumer product.
Examples of the most common basis for a product liability claim are:
- Failure to warn. When a product poses a danger to consumers when used in a certain manner, the manufacturer must warn consumers of the risks or dangers. Failure to provide warnings of risks or detailed instructions on using or not using a product can give rise to a product liability claim when an injury or illness occurs.
- Defective product. Manufacturing entails making the same product repeatedly for consumer use and ensuring each product maintains the same qualities and safety elements. When something in the manufacturing process goes wrong, a defective product can enter the market, where a consumer may purchase it. A defective product can be a single item or a batch with similar properties from the manufacturer. If the defective product causes an injury, the manufacturer may be liable for the damages to the victims.
- Defective design. The manufacturing of a product is not the only step in which a product can become dangerous or defective. Sometimes, the product’s design in and of itself makes it a danger to consumers. If a defective design is responsible for your damages, you may be eligible to hold the product manufacturer responsible.
Injuries That Can Occur Due to a Dangerous or Defective Product
The harm to a victim due to a defective product can be serious and, in some cases, life-threatening. Injuries in defective and dangerous products cases can involve costly medical expenses and cause you pain, suffering, and loss of income.
When you or a family member suffer an injury, it may require medical treatment in a hospital and care and support through the healing process. Family members, particularly when the injured victim is a child, may need to miss work and opportunities to care for and help the child in the aftermath of a product liability accident.
Common injuries in product liability cases can include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Injuries to the face, neck, or back
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of a limb
- Vision impairment or loss of hearing
- Broken bones
- Development of illness
- Organ damage or failure
Insurance Claims for Defective Products
When a victim comes forward with an injury claim due to a defective product, they may perceive that their only option for recovery is through a lawsuit. While lawsuits are common and can occur in product liability cases, settlements of insurance claims are also a common resolution for victims. Manufacturers of products for sale or distribution to consumers insure themselves for liability purposes to protect their assets and bottom line.
When a victim suffers an injury because of a product, often, their first option to seek compensation is by filing a lawsuit. While that may become a necessary step in your case, depending on the circumstances and the guidance of your attorney, it is more likely that you will negotiate compensation with the insurance company providing liability coverage to the product’s manufacturer.
However, filing a product liability insurance claim is not straightforward or self-explanatory. You can benefit from hiring a lawyer from The Bruning Law Firm to help prepare the claim and filing to increase the chance that you can resolve your case through a settlement if possible.
What to Do if You Sustain an Injury Because of a Defective Product?
If you sustain an injury you believe occurred because of a defect or danger of a consumer product, you may be eligible for compensation, but you must act quickly to preserve evidence and protect your rights under the law.
These steps can ensure you take appropriate action in your potential product liability claim as soon as it occurs.
- Continue with your medical treatment per your doctor’s advice and orders.
- Gather evidence and keep track of changes to your injuries and the healing process.
- Keep the product safe and protected from the elements as evidence, if possible, and in your possession.
- Contact our attorneys at The Bruning Law Firm for a free case consultation.
Call Bruning Law Firm to Handle Your Product Liability Case in Creve Coeur
After a product liability-related injury, contact us at The Bruning Law Firm as soon as possible to discuss your case with a member of our team. Call our Creve Coeur office at (314) 786-2615 to learn more about what legal options may be available for compensation for your damages.
Call The Bruning Law Firm Today for Your Free Consultation
Call our personal injury lawyer in Creve Coeur at The Bruning Law Firm will work to resolve your case as quickly as possible. Our team is available 24/7 to complete your consultation at (314) 266-6950 or you can contact us online.
Call The Bruning Law Firm today for your free consultation.
"When other law firms failed me. Bruning Law Firm came through for me. They did a great job and were able to get me more compensation than I expected. Couldn't be more pleased. Truly glad these folks were there for me. Took care of everything. Truly pleased. Thank you Ryan and Alice." - Joseph F.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!