Creve Coeur Bus Accident Attorneys
The MetroBus is a convenient and cost-effective option for commuters in Creve Coeur, and mass transit travel makes sense for them. The public transport industry is big business in Creve Coeur and although these large commercial vehicles can make our life easier, bus accidents can cause catastrophic injuries to bus passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and other motorists.
Other reasons a collision involving a bus often results in severe injuries include:
- Personal protective safety equipment like seat belts and airbags are lacking.
- Bus passengers are possibly standing or moving around while in transit.
- Buses have large blind spots.
- Buses require long stopping distances.
- Buses have limited maneuverability.
At The Bruning Law Firm, our legal team has over 35 years of experience fighting for the legal rights of those suffering from losses and injury due to another’s negligence. We handle bus accident cases on a state-wide basis, and we are here to answer your questions if a bus accident injured you or someone you care about.
Reach out to our Creve Coeur location today. We have the skilled, experienced Creve Coeur Bus Accident Attorney you need to pursue justice and compensation in a bus accident case.
Why Choose The Bruning Law Firm to Help You With Your Bus Accident Injury Claim?
If a collision with a bus causes harm to you or a family member, you have options for legal recourse. It is possible you have grounds for a personal injury claim, and you may be able to receive compensation for your losses. The Bruning Law Firm team is on your side when the unexpected becomes your reality.
The Bruning Law Firm has more than 35 years of experience helping injured people in the St. Louis metropolitan area get just compensation after an injury resulting from another party’s recklessness or negligence. Our skilled bus accident lawyers have a vast network of professional resources to identify all possible sources of compensation for our clients and their families.
Each case is personal to us, and we treat all our clients the way we treat our own families. Visit us for your free case evaluation.
Types of Buses
A bus carries more passengers (typically 16 or more) than other motor vehicles. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) for a bus is over 26,001 pounds including the weight of the vehicle, passengers, and fuel and requires a commercial driver’s license to operate.
Buses of all types drive throughout metropolitan St. Louis, and residents of Creve Coeur may encounter:
- Metro Transit buses: Data shows 11,498,907 boardings in a recent 12-month period
- School buses: Creve Coeur city is home to eight public schools, nine private schools, and two post-secondary schools
- Pre-school buses
- Airport shuttles
- Charter and tour buses
- Party buses
Compared to other motor vehicles, buses don’t often crash, but when they do, they can cause traumatic accidents.
How a Creve Coeur Bus Accident Lawyer Can Help
Whether you are injured while riding on a bus, walking or standing within striking distance, a passenger in a car or truck, or a biker, our experienced bus accident attorneys can:
- Gather and review relevant evidence
- Arrange for expert witnesses if needed
- Determine responsible parties
- Handle all communication and negotiations with various insurance companies
- Identify all possible sources of compensation
- Help the injured family understand the claim process
- Help develop a total and fair compensation request
- Take a claim to court if needed
Bus accidents have a high degree of complexity. Why? To begin with, the majority of the buses we find on our roadways are mandated to follow the regulations set forth by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). These include regularly scheduled and documented maintenance, substance abuse testing, mandatory physical examinations, and adherence to hours of service rules.
This requires a law firm with the resources and experience to review a bus company’s hiring practices, corporate and driver’s log books, black box data, and driving records. A bus accident can injure many people, thus resulting in multiple claims. Additionally, bus accidents have the propensity to result in serious injuries.
Types of Injuries Common In a Bus Accident
Creve Coeur residents may deal with life-threatening and long-term injuries after a bus-related accident. Traumatic brain injury and spinal cord damage can leave accident victims facing permanent cognitive deficits, confinement to a wheelchair, and the need for full-time care.
Additional injuries may also include:
- Traumatic amputation
- Broken bones
- Crush type injury
- Internal organ damage
- Back injury
- Nerve impairment
- Soft tissue damage
- Severe burns
- Vision or hearing loss
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Frequent Causes of Bus Crashes
Recent statistical data tells us 40 percent of accidents that result in a fatality are caused by alcohol. Speeding and reckless driving follow a close second.
Examples of reckless driving include:
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Failing to use turn signals when appropriate
- Failure to yield to the right-of-way
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Illegal passing
- Drag racing
- Fleeing a law enforcement officer
An additional common cause of motor vehicle accidents is distracted driving, such as:
- Adjusting the vehicle’s heating or air conditioning
- Using a GPS
- Looking at scenery
- Eating or drinking
- Personal grooming
- Reaching for items in the backseat
- Rummaging through a purse or briefcase
- Listening to music
- The use of earbuds
- Having a conversation with passengers
- Talking on a hands-free cell phone
- Using a voice-activated electronic device
- Dealing with children or pets
According to the CDC, about 3,000 people die in crashes involving distracted drivers yearly.
Other possible causes of bus accidents in Creve Coeur can include:
- Driver fatigue
- Inadequate bus maintenance
- Poor hiring practices
- Insufficient training
- Failure to adjust to roadway conditions
- Violating federal hours of service regulations
- Road defects
- Bus defects
When bus accidents occur, more than likely, it is due to someone’s negligence
when someone fails to use a reasonable standard of care, they may be found negligent and liable for financial compensation.
Who May I Hold Responsible for a Bus Accident In Creve Coeur?
So, who is responsible for compensating injured parties in a bus accident? Anyone and everyone who directly causes the incident.
This may include:
- The bus driver
- A city municipality
- A motor vehicle driver
- A private bus company
- Negligent third-party motorists
- Bicyclists or pedestrians
- Property owners
- Employers of at-fault parties
The Financial Costs of a Bus Accident
Involvement in a bus accident can leave injured victims facing mounting medical bills and the loss of income and personal property. Some possible compensation may include:
Compensable medical expenses may include ambulance charges, emergency room services, diagnostic testing, radiology imaging, hospitalization costs, surgical procedures, medications, and physician’s fees.
If a bus accident causes lifelong injuries, your economic damages may include:
- Projected future medical costs
- Physical and occupational rehabilitation
- Adaptive equipment
- Necessary home modifications
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatments
- Assisted living costs
Loss of Personal Property
In addition to repairing or replacing a damaged vehicle, accident victims may be able to claim the value of lost jewelry, leather goods, clothing, and electronics.
Loss of Income
Documented time missed from work, including the monetary value of any sick, vacation, or personal days used because of the injury. Looking to the future, it may be possible to recover the value of the projected loss of income, as well as the value of any paid company benefits such as retirement contributions, paid insurance coverage, and profit sharing.
Past and future pain and suffering are compensable. Many catastrophic accident victims also suffer from anxiety and depression, and some develop post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of a bus accident.
Many of our clients at The Bruning Law Firm ask, “How much compensation can I recover after a bus accident in Creve Coeur?” Our skilled legal team will work diligently to present a claim to the at-fault parties’ insurance carriers that will be in each client’s and their family’s best interests.
The compensation available to an accident victim depends on:
- The amount of available insurance coverage held by the responsible parties
- The severity of each accident victim’s injury
- The amount of evidence showing the defendant’s liability
- The age and educational background of the accident victim
- The victim’s prognosis for recovery
- If the victim is able to return to work in their chosen profession
- The impact of injuries on the accident victim’s quality of life
- The changes to the family dynamic due to the accident
Why the Statute of Limitations Is Important in Personal Injury Bus Accident Cases
Timing is essential when filing a personal injury claim. Those who wait too long to file will lose the right to claim just compensation. Missouri has the second longest statute of limitations for personal injury in the country five years from the date of the accident.
Only North Dakota, with six years, gives victims more time.
This is not necessarily good. Evidence of a bus accident can vanish long before the five years are up. Having a personal injury lawyer on your side as soon as possible will protect your rights. A bus accident attorney can request pertinent evidence to be preserved.
As in most things, there are exceptions to almost every rule. Those families who are, unfortunately, seeking wrongful death benefits only have three years from the date of death to file a claim. If the personal injury bus accident claim is against a government entity, the victim has only 90 days to bring a formal complaint or claim against the state. The window of opportunity does not stay open for long.
What to Expect From the At-Fault Parties’ Insurance Company
Dealing with the insurance companies representing the defendant(s) in a bus accident case can frustrate you.
Accident victims can expect:
- The insurance company will likely attempt to discount or downplay the severity of a plaintiff’s injury. Insurance adjusters have been known to troll victims’ social media to show them engaging in physical and social activities they claim they can’t do. We have even heard of investigators observing a victim’s home, hoping to catch them in an activity that could discredit their claims of injury.
- The insurance company may suggest the victim’s injuries were not caused by the bus accident.
- The insurance company may even have a claims adjuster at the accident scene, hoping to get victims to agree to a quick, fast, lowball settlement.
- The insurance carrier may stall the negotiation process, hoping to take advantage of an accident victim’s need for a quick cash infusion.
The defendant’s insurance company is not on your side; their sole purpose is to settle a bus accident claim for as little as possible.
Get Help Prompt Legal Help From Our Creve Coeur Bus Accident Lawyers
At The Bruning Law Firm, we can promptly review the evidence in your bus accident and build a viable case for you. We’ve built a legacy of fighting for the rights of injured people in Creve Coeur and throughout the state. Give us a call at (314) 266-6950 for your free claim evaluation.
Call The Bruning Law Firm Today for Your Free Consultation
Call our personal injury lawyer in Creve Coeur at The Bruning Law Firm will work to resolve your case as quickly as possible. Our team is available 24/7 to complete your consultation at (314) 266-6950 or you can contact us online.
Call The Bruning Law Firm today for your free consultation.
The Bruning Law Firm – Creve Coeur Office
1 Cityplace Dr #270,
Creve Coeur, MO 63141
Phone: (314) 266-6950
“When other law firms failed me. Bruning Law Firm came through for me. They did a great job and were able to get me more compensation than I expected. Couldn’t be more pleased. Truly glad these folks were there for me. Took care of everything. Truly pleased. Thank you Ryan and Alice.” – Joseph F.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!